Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fabric softeners

I heard on the radio the other day (Green 960AM) where people have pin-pointed certain health problems with using fabric softeners and dryer sheets. Once these people stopped using the products, they noticed (within about a month) a change in how they felt. The chemicals used (in non-natural ones like Bounce) have been known to cause: Central nervous system disorders, Headaches, Nausea, Vomiting, Dizziness, Blood pressure reduction, Irritation to skin, mucus membranes and respiratory tract and (most frightening) Pancreatic cancer.

My oldest sister has suffered sever headaches for years and no doctor has been able to figure out why. I know she uses a powerful smelling (however nice) laundry product. I told her about it and after some research she is tossing all her products and opting for essential oils. I had switched a while back to Method's dryer sheets and don't use a fabric softener in the wash. Method uses a plant derivative. I can't say whether or not things have changed for us, basically because I hadn't been watching for anything to happen, I guess. I will keep you posted on whether she notices a reduction in headaches. I have recently started using Ecover and love it. I will probably give up dryer sheets all together once I am out of my stash. (save on waste)

Below are some sites talking about this problem and the bottom two are "green" sites that offer alternatives. Just another reason (in a world of many!) to go green and natural!!

http://www.ghchealth.com/forum/post-325.html

http://www.aeha.ca/help-with.htm

http://www.naturalnewswire.com/2004/12/is_your_natural.html

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/fabric-softeners.html

No comments:

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.