Saturday, March 31, 2007

1 a Day for 3 Months

From my HR experience I learned that for most jobs it takes about 3 months to become reasonably comfortable. I decided I want to tackle this commitment to live more earth friendly using that rule. So for the next 3 months I am going to strive to do 1 new green thing a day. I'm going to use this blog to document that. I'd love to hear new things you are trying too.

Today the new thing I did was go to a farmer's market. We went to the one in at the SR Vets Memorial Building parking lot. I would like to start buying more local produce. Local produce is better for the environment because it did not have to be transported from far away. To be honest the selection was a little disappointing. But I think that's because I have become accustom to the produce at the grocery store where it's really hard to tell what's local and in season and what has been shipped in. So I think it will take some time to learn to eat with the seasons. And we are lucky to have the option to get out of season produce. But I'm going to try to at least pay a little more attention to what's in season and buy more local produce for our family.

I found online the Time article I read that got me thinking more about where our produce comes from;

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,1101070312,00.html

(paste this into your browser, I forget the html code Calvin taught me to turn this into a link)

Also...

I really liked Sarah's idea of having a community blog. I think it would be neat if we could all post topics to start conversations. I was wondering if Nate might have any suggestions of a good way to do this. I looked at blogger but I did not see a way to do a "community blog". I'm fine sharing the password if that's the best way to go.

No comments:

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.