Sunday, August 5, 2007

My First Trip Back to Target!

Today I had my first trip to Target in over 3 months. I had banned myself from shopping at Target for 3 months because I wanted to create new buying habits. It's not that I think Target is bad, I just think that there are a lot of better options out there.

It was really interesting to see how my perspective has changed, but how the temptation to over buy is still there. I went in for one thing- sunglasses. The sunglasses I posted about awhile back got lost over the weekend. I picked out my sunglasses (ok 2 pairs). Right next to them were the kids sunglasses. I picked out a pair for David. Then I thought, "ok, I should really leave the store now." But, I didn't. I wondered how much I have really changed. Would I be tempted as I walked through the red and white halls of Target?

Yes. I picked up a travel jewelry organizer. Here's my conversation with myself...

"Oh, look, it has a tolitery bag you can buy that the jewelry organizer fits perfectly in, we're going on a trip soon, it sure would be nice. It is made in China. But I've never seen something like this. I wonder if I could find it online, fair trade? Maybe second hand. Oh, I'd never find something like this at a thrift store. I have been wanting a nice toiletry bag for a long time. Maybe I should just get it. But I really only came in here for the sunglasses. No, I'm not buying it... I can always come back though..."

Did I leave? No. I knew better than to go into the toy section (I had the boys), but a few isles over a Cars toddler sleeping bag and air mattress set jumped out at me. So as David was asking if he could hold everything on the nearby shelf, I had a similar conversation, as before, with myself. This time I caved. Yes we have a mat and and adult sleeping bag he could use when we travel. But this one will be fun for him, I think. Or, will he really care? I don't want to become so uptight that the boys feel deprived, like they never get anything new. But I don't want to over indulge them either.

Do I have some guilt over the sleeping bag? Yes. I'm still trying to find a balance in this new way of buying. I used to be so focused on the money part of shopping, now that is secondary. But with shopping this way I do find that I am being more respectful of the impact that my spending has, and in turn more respectful of money in general. It's a work in progress, that's for sure.

3 comments:

jellybeanmichelle said...

I think about you everytime we go to Target. If I'm going to buy Victoria something, I think "will she like it?" "Is it educational?" etc... We did buy her a chair that she can climb in and out of, but that was from Toys r us. We also bought her a little bike too. She loves bikes and sitting in the chair. The $1 stuff at Target is hard to walk past, but I realize some of it can be junk.

Emily said...

You should have no guilt. You have made HUGE changes in your life in such a short amount of time, you really need to just be proud of yourself. It's all about finding balance . No one can do anything, every time, all the time.

Eco-Mom said...

No guilt! I have the same battles. It's hard. But, we ALL are doing our best, and the fact that changes are made, and that you stopped to think about it is HUGE. Not everyone does that. I suffered the impulse buying at places like Target, and battle it every time I go there. I have really curbed it, but I also go much more infrequently because it is so tempting. You did good. You bought something he can use, Brian can use later, and it's not just some cheap junk.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.