Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Vinegar


I made pickles last weekend with my sister and mom in law (I am really getting into the idea of canning after having read Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal Vegetable, Miracle"...HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT)
Anyway, I accidentally bought the white vinegar at Costco for the canning project instead of brown and was about to return it when I read the box and learned how many uses it actually has.
Some of the hundreds of uses for vinegar are:
-Kill unwanted grass and weeds by pouring undiluted vinegar on them
-Deter ant invasions by countertops and floors with vinegar
-Clean and deodorize toilet bowl by pouring undiluted vinegar into bowl, wait 5 minutes, scrub if needed and flush.
-Remove film buildup in bathtub by wiping down with vinegar and baking soda.
-Add tsp of vinegar to water when making rice to make it fluffier.
-Keep cheese moist and fresh by wrapping it in a cloth that has been dampened with vinegar and sealed in an air tight wrap.

Using vinegar instead of chemicals is not only environmentally friendly but is also economical. I bought 2 gallons at Costco for less than $3.50.

3 comments:

Jennifer Krug said...

I've been meaning to give it a try for cleaning, now I think I will!

jellybeanmichelle said...

Are you having trouble viewing the picture? I am.
I have some that has been sitting in the cupboard for a few years. I will have to try it. It also is good to clean out your coffee pot to!

Eco-Mom said...

Mixed with water is a good spot/odor remover for carpets (especially with pet stains!)

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.