Sunday, August 5, 2007

wasting water

Yesterday I was showering in the group showering stalls at the YMCA after a swim, doing my usual routine of turning on and off the water for rinsing, shaving, sudsing, etc. While showering I realized that the woman on the other side of the stall had two showers going. One for her and one for her swim suit (to rinse it out). I tried to ignore it but couldn't. I kept thinking ...okay NOW shes going to turn it off..no...ok NOW she will (pause pause pause) NO.... After about 4 minutes of 2 showers running I finally got up the courage to say "Do you mind if I turn this shower off? Its really wasting a lot of water and we are having a water shortage this summer..." She took a moment to look at me like I was an alien from outer space and then just laughed at me, turned her swim suit over (I guess the other side needed a 5 minute rinse too) and then went back to showering. It was so frustrating and embarrassing but I am glad I did it. I knew if I didn't that I would be kicking myself all day wishing I had said something.
I thought, "Well, that was fruitless!" But maybe not....maybe ,not likely, but maybe she will think about what I said the next time she takes a DOUBLE shower.

What I decided I CAN do that may have some impact is write a letter to the head of the SR YMCA explaining all the water wasting I see in the bathrooms (This is not the first incident like this I have witnessed at the Y) and ask that they post signs about water conservation in their bathrooms. It would be to their benefit financially and everyones benefit environmentally.

2 comments:

Jennifer Krug said...

I think this story highlights another type of activism, personal activism. I'll think of you next time I want to say something and almost hold myself back.

Eco-Mom said...

Good for you, Emily! Not easy. We were at Toy R Us weeks ago and one of the toilets kept flushing itself. We were at the San Rafael location. I couldn't find anyone that seemed to speak English to tell except for the one person at checkout (we were not buying anything) and there was a long line, so I just left. (After pacing the store for about 15 - 20 minutes strategizing who to tell) I was wracked with guilt and even hesitated getting into the car for a bit debating on going back in. I didn't and I still feel terrible about it. I didn't even have to confront someone about their personal use, but had this slight fear of being the "weirdo" who cares enough to say something. I felt shameful leaving. Your story will push me to just say it next time, and not care what others think. Doing right is better then looking right.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.