Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Food labeling issues

The variety of food scares of late just got creepier/scarier in my book after what I heard a senator from Michigan (Rep. Bart Stupak -D) say on the radio today. One, he was talking about how the FDA is closing 7 of the 13 remaining laboratories for food safety testing. Nice timing, guys. Smart decision. (can anyone say spinach? antifreeze in toothpaste and cough syrup?? E coli???)

Then he and the radio host were discussing labels of origins for meat in our grocery stores. Apparently in 2002 a bill was passed authorizing meat producers to label the meat with country of origin. Since then, no implementation has been made on this requirement. Hopefully, the change in balance in Congress will get that up and running. The things that bother me about it is not knowing where the meat comes from. Am I feeding my family meat from China?

To make things even worse, there is a common practice of adding carbon monoxide (the stuff that can kill you) and carbon dioxide to meats to prolonge their appealing color so people want to buy it. It is apparently been documented (but NOT reported!) that China has shipped fish and other meats pumped up with this mixture... get this... knowing the meat was NO GOOD. A test was done with one meat product having had the treatment and one not. The meat was left unrefridgerated for 27 hours. The meat treated looked fresh as if it has just been "processed", while the other looked (and smelled) putried as would be expected.

I did a little research on this and did find articles talking about this practice, but none really saying it wasn't a good idea. The senator talked about the huge grocer and meat packer lobbies that keep a tight hold on governmental action that would hurt their business. He mentioned Safeway and WalMart among those who regularly practice this. I quit buying chicken at Albertson's because every time it smelled so bad when I opened the package. It looked fine, but once I opened it - whoo wee! Even since I started to faithfully buy from the local market, I know I am getting local, free range product. And more importantly, fresh.

Okay, while re-reading through what I typed, I found this article below on the food labeling bill. Currently it's voluntary (like that works) but is moving to mandatory in late 2008. I have a feeling that Repubicans will try to stop it - of course in favor of the lobbies mentioned above. I would think that I little extra headache and cost is worth the health and safety of the citizens.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN1240937220070712?feedType=RSS

In my research I also ran across an article from the UK about a bill that recently passed there calling for a carbon imprint labeling on all food to show consumers exactly how environmentally friendly their food purchase is. How refreshingly forward thinking they are. How archaic we seem in how we deal with so many issues that affect us all. (and of course the "we" is mostly this corrupt administration we are forced to endure) (sorry, don't have that link saved)

I will keep trying to find out more about this issue. I am also trying to figure out how to learn more about where ingredients on other products come from. For example, when something with fruit in it says "from concentrate" - that could mean fruit from anywhere in the world, even if the product itself is made in USA. I am sure hoping they get something passed on clear and complete labeling for all products - food, body care, etc. My shopping trip for 3 things today was so long because I got so paranoid on what was in all this stuff! I am worried that the few things I really love - Morningstar Farms products for one - are going to have to go off my shopping list because they contain ingredients I don't trust.

For those of you who still would like to eat meat now and then, I have included a few links to local, organic and humane ranches and chicken farms. I know that I have unsuccessfully tried to be a vegetarian four times in my life, and now with dad-in-law living with us, I don't see it getting any easier. So, as I try to reduce the frequency we eat meat (mostly chicken), I do want to do it the healthiest way I can - for us and the animals.

http://www.petalumapoultry.com/faq.php

http://www.organicpicks.com/php2/local_meat_beef.php

http://www.kqed.org/weblog/food/2007/04/eating-locally-on-budget.jsp

2 comments:

Eco-Mom said...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-meat19jul19,1,1145128.story?coll=la-headlines-business

Might have to cut and paste this article link... but it refers to Safeway responding to concerns from members of Congress, and therefore is halting the sale of meat packaged with carbon monoxide gas, which makes the products appear fresher.

Don't be fooled that it isn't about them losing money when they try to say it isn't a big deal to use that gas on the food.

They wouldn't have responded so quick otherwise... they also don't want to lose customers in general. I shop Safeway for two things... a quacamole mix and particular jarred jalepenos I cannot find anywhere else. I definitely won't do the meat.

Jennifer Krug said...

Thanks for your informed and well thought out post!

When it comes to food along with almost everything else in my life right now, the answer for me is to simplify. That's probably part of why I'm vegetarian, it was easier for me to just cut it out of my diet than to wrestle with how to include it.

Another big way I've simplified is to shop at the local co-op (Community Market). I used to take forever shopping reading labels, putting things back on the shelves and many times not being happy with what I did eventually come home with. That little market pretty much does the screening for me. I feel really good about what I pick up there. The selection is a lot less than say Safeway, but now when I go into Safeway I am totally overwhelmed with ALL the stuff I don't want!

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.