Monday, July 16, 2007

No More Dollar Store

This week our Godson is staying with us, as he has the last few summers. During previous visits as a treat I would take him to the Dollar Store and let him pick out a few toys. This visit we will not be going to the Dollar Store. A big part of going Green for me has been drastically changing my buying habits. I now do everything I can to either buy used or buy from socially responsible sources. I would still like to take him to get a toy or two that he can have fun with during his visit here and then have to take home with him. I think we will either do a trip to the second hand store down the street, or, go the Kindred, the fair trade store in downtown Santa Rosa that I love. Or heck, maybe both. He's nine and a very smart boy. I'll explain why we are not going to the Dollar Store this year, and why we are going somewhere else instead. I have a feeling that whatever he picks out will mean a lot more to him than another cheep toy from the Dollar Store.

3 comments:

Eco-Mom said...

From the little I know of Nathan, I would agree. And he's a kid. And from what I have experienced is they think getting to pick out a toy (regardless where it comes from) is cool. It's so nice of you to make his stay so special.

nathan's_mom said...

funny, *I* was going to say that you don't have to buy him anything for the time to be special. He loves you guys, and just wants to hang out. Ping-pong with Calvin would probably do the trick... :)

Eco-Mom said...

Hanging with a bunch of 3 yr-olds, too! :-)

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.