Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Shopping green

A few things I have encountered recently while shopping that I thought would be of interest:

Positively Fourth in downtown Santa Rosa is Green Mommy friendly - from what I saw. I bought a couple of shirts from a company called "Green Label Organic - sustainable threads". Nice shirts, but I was most intrigued by the tag and label. The tag reads: "Certified 100% organic cotton, garment dyed with low impact dyes, printed with Rehance (c) - absolutely no plastics or harsh resins used, sweatshop free, and made in the USA." The tag on the shirt (which is one of the tagless kind) reads: "sustainable threads, please use non-toxic, biodegradable detergents, save energy - line dry (use dryer if you must), okay to iron - printed with Rehance (c) technology - there is no plastic on this shirt (do people really iron t-shirts?)"

Cute. And there was no plastic - the tag was attached with a pin and twine.

I went shopping at Pacific Market today and noticed an alternative to 7th Generation feminine products. Natracare is 100% organic, unbleached cotton. The liners are not indiviually wrapped like 7th Generation are. They had a large offering of products. The market also carries Glad Rags, Diva Cups (2 sizes) and the Diva cleaner.

On that note, I have tried the Luna Pads and find it okay (a little bulky). I am happy about the lack of landfill I contribute now. Anyone else trying it?

There is a big empty space in a shopping center on the east side in Petaluma where a JCPenney used to be. I am hoping the 4th Pacific Market opens there. (don't know there will be a 4th - but I am hoping!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Came across your blog. Just wanted to tell you how much I like it. You have a lot of really good information and post here. Thank you

Jennifer Krug said...

Sad to say the Diva Cup did not work for me. I think it has to do with my body geometry and I want to try another brand of cup. I haven't tried the Luna Pads. I got a couple generic ones from the emibeans.com website. They are a bit bulky, but good for overnight. I'm looking for a light weight one too. I too like the Naturacare. Until I get the cup figured out, that's what I'm using.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.