Thursday, July 12, 2007

Recent Decisions

Today is my post day and I couldn't think of anything overly exciting to post about. I decided to just write about the recent decisions and changes I have made in my shopping habits. Some or all of you may have already made theses changes but I'm moving pretty slowly on some of these...

After reading the articles and discussions on plastics this week, I have decided that I will try and buy as many products as possible in glass. If the product I need is not in glass then I move on to plastics but look for those labeled as either 1's or 2's, since those are the ones that are most likely to be recycled. If the product I need is not either in glass, or in a 1 or 2 type plastic, then I am going to skip it! I just did major grocery shopping and I made it through with only these types of packaging. (Besides cardboard of course).

I have also decided ( again a lot of you are doing this already) to begin to by organic dairy products. I wasn't doing this yet because of financial reasons (double the price for a gallon of organic vs. non-organic milk), but I think I can manage with a few small changes. I have repeatedly read that organic grains aren't as big of an issue as say organic produce or dairy. I have decided to skip the organic bread and snack foods(crackers, chips, cookies) and instead save that money by buying mainstream grains (still whole wheat!) and putting those savings towards dairy instead. Did that make sense?

So thats it for this week, a few changes that I can finally make in this green journey...

1 comment:

Eco-Mom said...

I am trying to do that myself, but no where near being consistent. With the way this household goes through dairy, it is enconomically painful at checkout going pure organic. I have been trying to stock fresh produce to replace other snack items, again, not always as consistent as I'd like. I will keep in mind the # 1 and 2 plastics. Hadn't thought of that. And thanks for pointing out the greater benefits with organic dairy over grains. That might help the wallet. Thanks! And good for you.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.