Thursday, July 5, 2007

Staying Cool, While Staying Green

Well I thought a post on this subject may be appropriate do to the super hot weather we are having. We all know that A/C isn't the greenest choice when it comes to keeping your house cool so I thought I would post a few ways to beat the heat while staying green. Here are 5 super practical, easy things you can do right now...

1) Fans and Ceiling fans. I discovered that a ceiling fan can make your house 6 to 7 degrees cooler. So if have them turn them on and if you don't, then some oscillating fans may do the trick.

2) Bowl of ice. I know this sounds weird but I tested it out today and it really works! Put a big metal bowl of ice behind one of your oscillating fans. It blows the super cold air around your house. I don't know that it make a giant difference, but I can definitely feel cooler air being pushed around. Then when the ice is melted you can water a plant, give it to your pet or let your kids play in it.

3) Twist your blinds. This may be a "duh" one, but make sure you twist your blinds so that the sun is being reflected outward and not into your house. So that they point up if that make sense. I just read about this and was like" oh thats why they twist 2 ways". There may more reasons why they twist two ways, but apparently this is one of them.

4) Avoid your Oven and Dryer. If you have to use one or the other make sure the appliance fan is on while doing so. Even showering and washing clothes on hot can add to the humidity (and how hot the room feels). And of course, turn off all your lights. The sun will brighten your house enough.

5) Windows. Open them at night ( or early morning when you first wake up) and close them around 9-10 am when the heat starts really blazing. This is the one I do every morning and it makes the late afternoons a lot more bearable. That and some Iced Chai :)

Not very new ideas but like Jennifer said, repetition is good. Anyone else have some tips to share to make it through this summer?

2 comments:

jellybeanmichelle said...

I think you said it!
We have 2 fans, I will have to try the ice cub thing though.
The blinds are already changed to reflect the sun in V's room, since that is the only room that gets the most direct sun. I have a receipe that I want to try, but it's been so hot, I don't want to use the oven! I last used the dryer before it got hot. And we do the window thing all the time. Plus it airs out the house too!

nathan's_mom said...

We have these super old thick white roll-up shades on all the windows. They are FUGLY, but when it's hot I like to open all the windows and let the ever present breeze/wind blow through and circulate the air, but the hot sun doesn't get too much of a chance to soak in!

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.