Monday, June 18, 2007

Fluoride

Man! Another thing to have to figure out. Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

I watched a documentary on that documentary junkie my space page I mentioned awhile back. I was also looking at www.fluorideaction.net

This is another one of those cases where doing what's right for your body might also be best for the environment. The documentary junkie site explains the environmental impact more clearly than the Fox news clip on the other site. I don't want to get facts wrong. If this is an issue you are curious about, check out the two above links and tell me what you think.

For a long time I've had this nagging feeling that fluoride supplementation was not right. I've been delaying refiling David's prescription and I've never filled the one for Brian. I switched to using Tom's of Maine non-fluoride toothpaste. After watching the documentary with Calvin we agreed for now to continue not to give the boys fluoride. I still want to do more research though.

I'm interested to know other's thoughts.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I feel the same way! It just didn't seem right. About a year ago I started giving it to Emma every other day, then not at all. And I doubt I'll give it to Abby... Same situation. And I too am going to get flouride-free when I need new toothpaste. But I would love to see what you saw to confirm what I think.

jellybeanmichelle said...

I gave V floride with the 1st RX, but I have not refilled it. To many side effects and such. I was given floride tablets as a kid. Also, I think SF adds floride to their water. That was what I had heard, not sure if it is true.

Emily said...

I know SR does not add fluoride to their water but I haven't given my kids much fluoride either because I thought it just didnt sound like a good idea. Thanks for bringing this issue up Jennifer. I will have to do more research too.

nathan's_mom said...

whew! Now I can stop feeling so guilty for not giving it to N.
although, he does have pretty bad teeth, I really have wondered if it was just genetics, or if I had ruined him for life by not refilling that prescription....

re: SF water...not sure if they add floride. we do not drink the tap water--our pipes are from 1922--the ick-factor is too high for me.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.