Friday, June 1, 2007

My Cloth Diaper Update (Long)

So I just wanted to do an update on my cloth diapering situation. About 7-8 weeks ago I started cloth diapering and was using the Tidee Didee Diaper Service. For those who may not know what thats all about, they supply the prefolds (the diaper part of the er...diaper) and then you use a cover over those to make them waterproof. This was working out well for awhile, I never had any leaks or anything. I could never get them tight enough to use over night so I was still using a disposable at night, one for each of my kids. I started doing some research and quickly became obsessed with all things cloth diaper related. There was SO much to learn and know. So after relentlessly researching (and making a super dorky, extensive pros and cons list), I decided to quit the diaper service and start washing them on my own at home.

I ordered some different styles to try out and settled on one called a BumGenius! 2.0 One Size Pocket Diaper. BG! for short :) These diapers come with inserts that you put in the diaper to make it absorbent. You can customize the absorbency, making them easy to use at night time. No more disposables for her! The 'one size' part is the coolest, and what will save me the most money in the long run. The diaper fits weight ranges 8-35 lbs, so it will easily take us up to potty training. They also fit Jonny no problem at 38lbs, I think cause hes a string bean, so he wears them at night also. No more disposables for him!

I ordered 18 of them which ran me about 300 dollars. Sounds like a ton, but will even out with what I was paying Tidee Didee in about 5 months, (Tidee Didee was 55 a month.) I also feel like I could get by with less... maybe 14.

You might be wondering about poop :) It really is a non issue. Elliot still has lovely peanut butter poop most days and it has never stained or anything (she is even formula fed, which is not water soluble like BM poop). If there is something to dump in the toilet, I dump it. If nothing falls off, it goes into the pail till wash day(the pail has a liner, a reusable one instead of the plastic ones that Tidee Didee has to throw away each week). I wash every 2-3 days and I hang dry to save on energy and prolong the "life of the diapers". You can use the dryer if you want to though.

I love the diapers (I told you its a weird new obsession). They are so cute on her too. She has never leaked and they are as easy to put on as disposables, no folding or snappi-ing or covering. Also I have to mention that the resell value on these are great, even after I use them for a few years, I can easily get 2/3 of my purchase price back. There are websites all over selling used diapers. Sounds gross but I promise its not :)

I have also switched to cloth wipes, since I am washing the diapers anyway. So no more disposable wipes either! They are basically like washcloths that I use with water and a little wipes solution. Piece of cake. Then I throw them in the pail as well until wash day.

I know that I mentioned in a comment earlier that home laundering takes a lot more water than a commercial laundering service. This is true. BUT, I feel that I am evening out this extra water usage and impact by eliminating disposables diapers all together, switching to cloth wipes and line drying. Besides, I had to wash my covers with the old system which I did once a week, so I am only using 1-2 extra loads of water per week, and I use the low water setting on the washer. I also get to decide which (eco-friendly) detergent I use on her diapers which also means on her skin. I don't need the delivery truck anymore so that has to save a few emissions too! :)

The only down-side I have come across (with any cloth diapers) is that Elliot has bypassed size 9 months completely and went straight into 12 months to help compensate for her enormous bum. I think shes a bit of a giant baby anyway though...

Anyway, thanks for reading my post if you made it this far! I had fun writing about it :)

4 comments:

Erica said...

I am getting more and more convinced that the 7th Generation diapers aren't good for Abby's super sensative skin. We need to hang out and you can show me everything and maybe I can switch too! I don't mind laundry at all, so it'd be no biggie for me. And you know the cuteness of these diapers will win me over also :) And the idea of using my own detergent helps me lean toward home laundering over the service.

Way to go though! That's a huge change and one that six months ago I'd say I'd never do. But maybe...

Eco-Mom said...

Way to go! The cloth wipes are great, too. Much easier to clean them up with, for sure!

I agree that the one "com" to doing them yourself surely outweighs all the left behind coms from the service.

Can't wait to see the cuteness! :-)

Jennifer Krug said...

That's just awesome Sarah! I love the cloth diapers too, and so far the service is working great for me, but I think that's so great that you've found another soulution that works (sounds like even better) too.

Sarah Michele said...

Thanks for the comments and support guys!

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.