Friday, June 8, 2007

Galimoto

I went to my favorite store, Kindred, again today. I just love them for gifts. I found some perfect gifts.

I also couldn't resist getting a galimoto for David. Galimoto's are toys that children in Africa make out of scraps of metal and different things they find. When the store owner saw me looking at the toy he came over and explained to me how popular they are in parts of Africa. They also had a children's book called Galimoto which I also picked up. David loves his new toy and was very interested in the book when I read it to him tonight. I think he may be able to talk his Daddy into making a galimoto of his own!

I feel so good about 1) supporting an artisan in Africa, 2) supporting Kindred, and 3) teaching David to think about how children play in other parts of the world. I think helping him to have compassion for the people of the world will help him want to do his part to help take care of the earth.

2 comments:

jellybeanmichelle said...

I also found the book on Reading Rainbow. http://pbskids.org/readingrainbow/books/episode74.html

Eco-Mom said...

I can't wait to see what that is. I agree, I have had to start explaining how good we have it so Avery can get a better idea of why we should do what I am trying to have us all do. I think exposure to other cultures is great!

That is the direction I want to go with his toys. He has so much plastic ones - and so many cars (though he will tell you he can never have too many!). I want to expand his play and this would be a great way to do it.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.