Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Purchase Decison

We are planning on getting some large storage cabinets this weekend and I was doing some research on the dangers of particle board because I am concerned about the formaldehyde, a volatile organic compound (VOC) out gassing. On one hand I think the idea of pressed wood is great, it's using the waste from lumber. On the other, like I said, I'm concerned about all the chemicals used in the process. I came across The Green Guide, put out by National Geographic- it helped give me the answers I was looking for (the link is to the page dealing with particle board), and it looks like a useful site in general too.

3 comments:

jellybeanmichelle said...

That's why I love the pure wood furniture, or metal shelving.
But they are so expensive! I did see some shelving units at Costco the other day. I didn't really look that good, but prices seemed ok.

Emily said...

I bet if you come to our neighborhood any Sat morning (corner of Hopper and Coffey) you will signs for a bizillion garage sales who may have what you are looking for too. Its amazing how many garage sales go on over here....

Eco-Mom said...

That Green Guide is the one I got the group a subscription to. Please don't tell me I didn't have to pay - please tell me you went through my link. :-)

Good ideas, gals! I'll check those ideas out as we, too, are going to be looking into storage soon.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.