Friday, June 22, 2007

Not Buying It

I've started reading the book Not Buying It and it inspired me yesterday. I had some time to kill and went into Rite Aide really only looking for one thing, which they did not have. Since I had plenty of time I went down every isle, I probably picked up about 5 different things that I really did not need and after putting them through my new filters I would put them back. I walked out of the store empty handed. And it felt really good. Six months ago I would have walked out of that store buying about $15 of junk and feeling proud of the bargains I'd found, but having a nagging feeling of guilt in the back of my mind. I'm noticing a real shift in my spending habits and it feels so good.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I am enjoying the book too. We will have to pick a date to discuss it with whoever else would like to join us : )
I have found myself going through the same situation you write about....filling up my cart with stuff I think I "need" and then after the initial consumption urge passes, I put it all back.


One thing that helps me in this process is just imagining that all the "stuff" I see on the shelves will be sitting in a landfill relatively soon. UGH!

Sarah Michele said...

I would like to join you when you do. I used to own the book and now can not, for the life of me, remember where it is. When someone finishes can I borrow it? I'd hate to buy another copy. I can also look into checking it out at the library. Let me know :)

Jennifer Krug said...

Oh, and by the way when I got it at Copperfield's about a week ago they had it on clearance so it was only about $8. It will take me awhile to get through it- I'd be happy to pass it on. Thanks again Emily for the book suggestion.

For anyone who doesn't know we were going to do a book club type discussion on this book, so if you want to join in just let us know. :)

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.