Friday, June 15, 2007

Green gift giving

My family draws names at Christmas to cut costs and chaos. The adults draw and the kids draw. Even though I will participate in that this year, I am planning to break the rules a bit. I want to get each family (4) a grean living starter kit (of sorts). So, over the next several months, I will be picking up the $0.99 shoppinng bags, order some more produce bags, and possibly get them copies of a shopping guide (I want to check out that other one I read about to see which will best suit them). I am trying to think of other (cheap - or free!) things I can include to help get them started. I had thought of product samples... but not sure how cheap that will end up being. A few recipients may be very reluctant, and others may have just needed this little push. They all live in TX, so whatever I can do to help.... well, you know.

Looking for suggestions... thanks!

On a related note, I always thought my mom would be one of the reluctant. But while she visited I was reading the Better Shopping Guide while she read her magazine. She asked what it was, I told her, and she asked to see it when I was done. Then I noticed that on at least two other occasions during her visit, she was looking through it again. So, if she could find the products readily where she lives (yeah, right), then maybe she will shop "better". :-)

4 comments:

Sarah Michele said...

I had this EXACT idea for my family and friends too!! A green starter kit! Great minds think alike :) I started a list a few months ago and this is whats on it so far:

-grocery bags and produce bags
-water bottle
-handkerchief (no more tissues)
-shower timer (10 min)
-reusable coffee sleeve
-dryer balls (no more dryer sheets)
-tire gauge (important for fuel efficiency)
-all-purpose green cleaner (Method maybe?)
-microfiber hand towel (no more PT for cleaning)
-green dishsoap (pretty cheap)
-recycling guide (like a little printout)
-small cutlery set (like a fork and spoon, or chopsticks to avoid using plastic cutlery or wooden chopsticks at some restaurants. you could even get your own straw for iced 'bucks)
-bamboo kitchen tools (like a few spoons to replace plastic ones, Bamboo is rapidly renewable)

Some of them are more hard core than others, like the handkerchief :) But some could be simple changes for even the most reluctant.

If you come up with more ideas please share! I'd love to add to the list:)

Sarah Michele said...

OK I thought of a few more, some a little hardcore and some might be expensive but you could include a tag that says " If you want to do more..." or something.

-clothesline and clothespins (dollar store)
-rechargeable battery starer pack
-low flow faucet aerators (like 2-3 bucks)
-low flow shower head (about 10-12 bucks)

I love the idea of a book like Better World Shoppers Guide. But if you dont think that will be most effective then maybe something really simple like 101 ways to be Green or something to that effect.

I don't know how feasible those are because I don't know your family. My family may be a little overwhelmed by some of those. Just ideas though.

Jennifer Krug said...

Awesome idea you two! I just might copy. :)

We should all take a picture of the finished product. Maybe at some point we could sell them as a Green Mommy "gift basket" or starter kit kind of thing.

Eco-Mom said...

I guess it's a "Sarah" thing... :-)

Good ideas! I don't want to overwhelm them, but will definitely include some of the easier to do ideas. I know that if it is sometimes overwhelming to me, and I am seeking this lifestyle, I can only imagine how they will take it all... Thanks!

Not sure how it would print out since he uses dark colors, but that Better Shopping Guide is online. I had thought to just print it out.

I also wanted to do a small card of reasons for change with some statistics (both environmental as well as social), and also your idea of "other things to do"

Thanks!

And good idea on the gift/starter pack for the site. Just got to sell it for a little more than it costs us. And if we thought it would be a seller, then maybe work out a deal with suppliers for bulk costs... and maybe better cost to us if we include "advertising".

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.