Thursday, May 24, 2007

No More Disposable Chopsticks

I'm picking an easy one because it's late and I want to go to bed. I read that wooden disposable chopsticks have caused great environmental destruction in China. If I wasn't so tired I'd do some research so I had something to site. Maybe if someone feels inspired they can. But I figured giving them up would be a pretty easy thing to do. So last weekend Calvin and I ended up at a Japanese restaurant and I remembered about the chopsticks. So I asked for a fork. The waiter probably thought I was a dork who didn't know how to use chopsticks (which is partially true), but I don't care. Sushi without chopsticks was not a much fun though. I have some nice chopsticks my Dad got in Hong Kong or somewhere a long time ago. Next time I'll try to remember to stick them in my purse.

1 comment:

Eco-Mom said...

We bought a set of reusable chopsticks a while back. We usually do take out, so it's a bit easier on us to refuse the disposables and use ours at home.

J - you can find inexpensive ones at Cost Plus and Pier One... maybe a set for your purse and some for home?? Just a thought. I might do it once we start going out to eat more. I would never remember to take them with me if they weren't a permanent part of my purse-load. :-)

I quickly looked up a couple of links on the subject. Outside of any deforestation issues on disposables, consider the landfill issues, too. I am not sure how to recycle those since they would have food contamination. One link talks about how Japan (if I remember correctly) recycles them for particle board and such. Maybe if they are soaked clean, they can go into the green bins??


https://www.uknow.or.jp/be/s_topics/pub/ecology/img/04coppices_e.pdf

https://www.uknow.or.jp/be/s_topics/pub/ecology/img/04coppices_e.pdf
Scroll down this one to find the blurb and there are also more related links.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.