Thursday, May 10, 2007

Trader Joe's

We did it! Our first trip to TJ's. We bought 25 items for a total of $58. That's not bad really. Little over $2 per item. We went to the one in the Costco center. I felt weird and not in my zone. I was a bit shocked that they didn't have more produce. My receipt says 4 of the items are organic. Have you tried their pizza dough? We bought the whole wheat one. I'm thinking to save gas, we will just stick to Oliver's Market, but if we are in Santa Rosa and need some food, we will stop by TJ's. I still want to check out Whole Foods though.
Oh! we also got soy ice cream too. Mainly for me and Victoria. Dan doesn't like soy. The taste brought back memories of when I had soy ice cream as a kid. I was on soy as a kid cause I was allergic to milk. Not so much now. Can't wait to try the dessert Dan picked out that is from France, chocolate mousse cake. Yum!

3 comments:

Erica said...

I like Trader Joe's but I don't go often because I am such a dork when it comes to food. I get the most simple things that I know of and Trader Joe's has all this crazy stuff (in my mind it's crazy!) But I do like their prices! I plan on shopping there more. From what we've experienced and I hear, their produce and bread goes bad really fast, so beware!

Emily said...

Some of the thing I like at TJ's are their recycled paper TP, organic sauces, salad dressings, chocolate, pasta, cage free eggs.... They have a fairly decent organic selection.
The one thing I don't like about TJ is how much packaging they use (esp. with their produce)
For example: 4 apples come in a big plastic container, 3 peppers come in another big plastic container. They waste a lot I think in packaging but I think they are trying .....

Sarah Michele said...

Even though its only a 10-15 min walk for us, I only recently started shopping at Trader Joe's, mostly for the reasons that Erica said. Now we walk there at least 2-3 times a week, no joke. We love some of there already prepared food (especially the frozen pizza's) and all of there yummy dips and stuff. I haven't noticed the packaging on the apples, we usually buy the organic ones and you just grab them per apple...did you notice that at the one next to Costco? There are some things that we just don't buy there, or they just don't have (no baby food). But its easily become our favorite place to shop next to good ole' Safeway.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.