Friday, May 4, 2007

A Solid Argument for Composting

"Kitchen sink disposals require lots of water to operate properly. Start a compost pile as an alternate method of disposing of food waste, instead of using a garbage disposal. Garbage disposals also can add 50 percent to the volume of solids in the sewer system or they can lead to problems with a septic tank."

The above information came from, the Water Information Program in southwestern Colorado. Not exactly a local resource but the web site had some good water saving tips. www.waterinfo.org/conservation-tips

That, along with the reduction I've seen in our garbage waste, solidifys that composting is the right thing to do. For now, just in our yard waste bin.

1 comment:

Sarah Michele said...

Thank you for that info, I needed some ammo to use while arguing with my mother! I knew it was the right thing to do but was having trouble articulating it. Now I know, but what I need to know now is why I am arguing with my mother...

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.