Thursday, April 26, 2007

Adopt- A -Green Space

I grabbed the flyer at the community center today( I dunno if you read my comment on the other post or not) and it seems like this adopt a green space program may be just what we are looking for!

A quick summary of what it is :
We adopt a space somewhere is Santa Rosa ( Sarah B. I know you don't live here, but would you still be interested?). As a community group (Green Mommies) we would commit to that space for a whole year. We would clean it up, weed, perhaps plants some flowers and just maintain it in general. A month after adopting the site they will put up a metal sign in our space that says "This Green site adopted by Green Mommies of Santa Rosa", or something like that...

I think that this would be a GREAT experience and educational opportunity for all of our kids! It would be fun to meet up at "our" site once in a while and have a clean up day or something like that...

I am really excited about this idea, what are all of your thoughts? It doesn't have to cost any money, just a commitment of time and energy. If there is another program that everyone likes better I am all for that too, I just really like the whole concept.

5 comments:

Eco-Mom said...

I like the idea. With us in Petaluma, we may (as a family) also find something here, but we would enjoy being a part of the Santa Rosa one, too! An excuse to still get together!!!

Erica said...

I'm definitely up for it!

Jennifer Krug said...

I like the idea a lot. Do you know if we would get to pick our location? I wonder if it could be close to a park or some kid friendly place.

Sarah Michele said...

OK, I left a message with the Program Coordinator to get more details on the "adoption" :) I will update the post as soon as she calls me back.

Emily said...

I like this idea a lot, especially if its something we can do with kids.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.