Monday, April 23, 2007

Coffee, Tea and Cleaners

Coffee: So I went to Sacred Grounds website and learned they are located in Arcata, CA. Not sure where that is specifically, but was happy to find it in CA. I liked what they do and stand for (organic/fair trade), so am keeping them in mind for my next coffee purchase. I am hoping to find some in the stores, but have a feeling I won't be able to. Sequoia's dad is the big coffee drinker in our house (as I do not and Sequoia rarely does) and I feel like if I don't get proactive on what we brew, he will just buy the cheapest thing he can find (and that usually translates into not eco-friendly). I am curious to learn what you all think of the taste of your recent organic purchases of coffee.

Tea: I am a PGTips addict. This is an English tea from, yup, England. Wanting to do local, I decided to at least learn more about this company in case I can't break the habit. I was happy to learn they are in partnership with ETP (Ethical Tea Partnership). The ETP works to monitor conditions of tea production around the world to ensure that tea estates comply with the relevant laws and union agreements of their country in the areas of employment (including minimum age and wage levels); education; maternity; health and safety; housing and basic rights. The ETP strives to work in close partnership with tea producers and other stakeholders to encourage open dialogue to ensure appropriate living and working conditions of tea estate workers and seek improvements where needed. I was happy I researched this site if for no other reason than to have learned about ETP.

Cleaners: I also went to Method's website. They, too, are focused on biodegrable (mostly vegan), non-toxic, non-animal tested, natural products. They are constantly trying to improve their packaging, too, in order to reduce pollution in processing and increase recycling possibilities and the use of recycled materials. www.methodhome.com I still want more bulk options to reduce the amount of plastic containers I do end up recycling.

2 comments:

Sarah Michele said...

Nice research Sarah :) I just got some Shaklee cleaning supplies but want to get some Method hand soap for my bathrooms. I want to replace Jonny's super fruity "Kandoo" hand soap with something a little greener.

Eco-Mom said...

I am going to try (when supplies are gone) to refill the foam dispenser with the regular Method soap refill - it's just a matter of adding water. Hopefully I can get the ratio right!

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.