Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Community Market

I feel like I hit the jackpot! Today I shopped at Community Market (link in Green Guides-Food) for the first time. I enjoyed the shopping trip so much. One of my major goals was to find new products and change the way I shop. I think I will be doing a lot of shopping at Community Market. Just the store itself embodies some of the values that are important to me; it's worker-run, local, and vegetarian. It was so nice for me to be in a store where I knew everything I pulled off the shelf was vegetarian. I know the non-vegetarian's might be hesitant to visit a "weird little vegetarian market", but it really has a lot to offer.

Here's a list of great things about CM:
* Best selection of natural cleaning products I've seen
* Best selection of green household products I've seen
* Very nice natural beauty department, with bulk shampoo, etc. organized much nicer than Whole Foods, and more selection too
* Great selection of bulk foods
* Lots of healthy kid snacks
* Nice size, it has just what I needed. I felt like they really pick the best of what's out there. So the store is half the size of a regular store, and because of this I could get the shopping done much faster
* Great healthy bread selection. I didn't feel like I had to pick up every loaf trying to find the one without yucky stuff added and the most whole grains, any one I picked up was good
* Very nice people who seemed happy to be working there
* Good produce. I got fair trade organic bananas! All organic produce. Most were labeled where they were from.

That's all I can think of for now, I need to get to bed, but I think you get the idea... I really liked it!

8 comments:

Sarah Michele said...

Very cool Jennifer! I will have to check it out this weekend for sure. I was talking to Erica on Monday saying "how cool would it be if there was a store that sold only local stuff?" Looks like I am not a genius and didn't think of it first :)

Erica said...

I've been wanting to go; now I really want to go!

Emily said...

I too was really impressed with their bulk section. We loaded up on rice, cereal, granola, lentils, etc and I think it probably ended up being cheaper than buying at a Safeway (for example). Next time, I will remember to bring my own containers so I don't have to use their plastic bags but still Bulk really cuts down on packaging.
I liked how they had a variety of shampoos, soaps and detergents too. I am going to try and make an effort to buy all that "stuff" in bulk now and just bring in our old shampoo bottles to refill.
I didn't know about the community market until you posted it on the blog last month and I am so glad you did. Thanks!

Jennifer Krug said...

Emily, do you have any suggestions for containers for storing bulk items? I want to buy more in bulk but I want to get set up with containers first. Anyone else have suggestions?

Emily said...

I like the tupperware-ish type containers that kind of resemble a cereal box size.....but i would use whatever size fits in your pantry best. You can weigh the tupperware before you fill with bulk item so you are not paying for the weight of the container itself.

Jennifer Krug said...

Do you have a suggestion on where to get those?

Emily said...

Hmmm my first impulse was to say Target : ) but you dont go there anymore (Good for you)
Maybe the thrift stores carry storage. A lot of time I see canning jars at thrift stores which also make good containers.
Otherwise I see they sell some containers at the Comm. Market too

jellybeanmichelle said...

I love tupperware! I use one of the containers for V's cherrios.
And it keeps the ants out. They always seem to find their way into the pantry.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.