Monday, April 30, 2007

Sarah's sis in Texas here. I just wanted to share my favorite Earth-saving tip--thrift stores. My son is almost 8 (yes, it FLIES by!) and I shop the thrift stores for nearly all of his clothes (mine, too!). the only things I do not buy thrift are underwear and shoes (unless I can tell they are brand new). I save mucho bucks and keep lots of clothes from ending up in land fills. Also, it is such a great adventure to search out the really great finds. My last one was a pair of brand new Emu Ridge Sherpa boots (retail $130) that I got at a thrift store for $3 (yes, single digit). It's really fun, plus I keep Harper in clothes for low cost that he can use and abuse. Once he outgrows them, I donate them back to the thrift stores. Most of ours around here go to support great causes.

Go Green Mommies. happy to be part of your community!

5 comments:

Erica said...

WELCOME! Glad to have you here :)

Yeah, thrift store shopping is one thing I need to work on. I don't have the patience to sift through the items, but I'll work on it. I even have a thrift store within walking distance!

Eco-Mom said...

Welcome aboard, Liz! I admit my thrift store shopping came to a halt once Avery was out of the carrier. It gets too hard with him. But, I do plan to start back up once he's in preschool! Garage sales and thrift stores used to be a Sunday morning thing for me (and a few of us in my family growing up.)

And I have to add for everyone, Liz has sent us some awesome things she has found at thrift stores. Avery has had quite the wardrobe as a result, especially when he was a baby!

Jennifer Krug said...

Welcome Liz!

I love thrift stores too. Especially since I banned myself from Target. I think they are a lot of fun to just poke around. It's something different every time. And I always feel good after a thrift store shopping trip- guilt free.

jellybeanmichelle said...

Welcome Liz!

Sarah Michele said...

Hi! And Welcome of course :)

I just started shopping at second hand children's clothes stores and its really fun. We have a couple close by, "Wee Three" and "New 2 You". Just today Ellie wore the sweetest little summer dress that I got for 2 bucks! I need to check out the Salvation Army or the Goodwill to get a feel for what types of things they have...

Anyway, nice to have you here!

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.