Thursday, April 26, 2007

Packing peanuts

Okay, I have always hated these styrofoam peanuts, and yesterday a package arrived for us full of them. Now I am loathing them even more because (stupid me) I didn't get them tossed before Avery got a hold of the box and dumped them all over the living room and proceded to scatter them everywhere!!!!! AHHHHH!!! Well, he's having fun, that's something.

I wish more companies would switch to the cornstarch ones. I wonder what little ol' us can do to help influence that change. ????

On a side note: Thanks Jennifer, for the Gaiam catalog. I think I am going to try some things out of it. (bamboo sheets/bras/undies/mop) I wanted to consider the steam vac since we have all hard surface flooring, but it says "imported" and I just know that will be CHINA! I might call them and if not, consider it. Or searc out a similar one around here. Did you get the compost crock you circled? I am thinking of the green one since I will be carrying it up the hill to empty it into the larger one.

Avery hs just said it's time to scoop up the peanuts, so off I go to take advantage of this cooperation!

3 comments:

Jennifer Krug said...

Those peanuts can be dropped of at packing stores for reuse. Check out Sonoma County Recycling Guide under Green Guides- General to find a handy location. Those corn starch ones are so much better though, I agree. Guess we can just let companies we deal with know it matters to us.

And no, because of procrastanation, I did not order that compost collection bin. Instead I found a ceramic bowl with a lid that was seldom used works great.

Eco-Mom said...

Oh, I saw that on your counter. I was meaning to comment that I liked it.

Oh, I have an antique crock with lid that I used to put my smaller gardening supplies in for handier access. I haven't been using it for that for a long while, so maybe I'll just clean that up! Another money saver!

Eco-Mom said...

Thanks for the tip. Problem here is it's got a lot of dog hair combined with it from it being scattered all over. :-( Well, the floors are clean now!

I'll find out if the hair matters before I toss it.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.