Monday, April 23, 2007

"Priced by weight" produce bags

So one change I made a while back was to not bag my produce if it was priced per piece (versus weight - unless I was just buying one) and if it were something that could withstand the basket, and bagging at checkout without being ruined (unlike lettuce). Well, it bothers me everytime I have to grab a plastic bag. So, today I thought I would find some sort of lightweight mesh material and make a few bags. Then I would go to various markets/stores and see if they would allow me to use them - why not, especially if it adds a little weight - they would benefit. Anyway, if I can find the material and get some made, anyone interested in some?

Also, if anyone finds good prices on canvas shopping bags, I'd love to hear from where. We have two, and they each cost $10. I'd like to get something cheaper so I can have more.

8 comments:

Sarah Michele said...

Sarah, We had the same idea! Here is a link to the bags that Erica and I were going to grab. If you want, we can order them all together and combo the shipping:)I just don't know if I could make them...

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/ecobagsreg-reusable-organic-cotton-produce-sacks-p-747.html

Emily said...

Trader Joes has really durable bags for 99 cents at their check out stands too

Eco-Mom said...

Great! I'd rather just buy them than take time to make them at this point. (there seems to be no time!!!) Yes, please include me in the order, Erica and Sarah!

Sarah Michele said...

OK! As soon as we get it together, within a day or two, Ill let ya know. How many do you want to get? I am going to get 5...

jellybeanmichelle said...

Oprah is selling them for like $9.50, and Oliver's Market has their green bags for $2 something.

Sarah Michele said...

The ones on that link are just the little produce bags. They are to replace the plastic ones you put your apples and stuff in at the store. I think Oprah has the big grocery bags... the totes.

Jennifer Krug said...

I want to get produce bags too. You and Erica are so good at finding stuff on line. I looked but I didn't see those. They look perfect. If you want to do a big order, I'd like 12. Or I can place the order myself. I was talking to the checker at Oliver's last night and she seemed to think that losts of smaller bags was the way to go. She said there's also those big net bags, but then then have to take all the produce out one by one. Probably not a big deal. But for some reason I like the idea of a bunch of the smaller bags.

Sarah Michele said...

I don't mind doing a big order, so far 5 for me and 5 for Sarah B. and 12 for Jennifer... Anyone else?

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.