Monday, April 23, 2007

Stepping Up the Recycling

We're pretty good about recycling and we're getting even better. I've decided the next step is to recycle even if I have to take some extra steps and it can't go in the single stream blue bin. The two items I have decided to start recycling/getting back into use is plastic bags/plastic film and Styrofoam. I need to do a bit more research on the plastic bags/film but I know they can't go in the single stream but they can be dropped off at grocery stores. A lot of the plastic wrap that packaging comes in can go in there too, I think. That's the part I still need to sort out. And Styrofoam is very hard to truly recycle but a lot of packing stores will take it to reuse.

The boys got so many toys for their birthday! I was really conscious about recycling all the packaging and wrapping (yes wrapping paper can go in the blue bin- I called at Christmas) I possibly could. That led me to the recycling guide in the phone book and my decision to start recycling above and beyond the big blue bin.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Jennifer
We recycle our plastic bags at Safeway. They have a big barrel right inside the front door and you just stick them in the hole in the top. I am sure other grocery stores have them too but I know Safeway does for sure.

Eco-Mom said...

Yes, I have seen that same barrel at Raley's, too. I will be interested in seeing if you can put the other thin plastics (films and such) in there, too. With all of Avery's gifts this year, I went through the process of separating the plastic window from the cardboard box, only to have to throw away the window portion. :-(

jellybeanmichelle said...

I'll have to double check my resources, but I thought I read somewhere that you can take all of your plastic bags, put them in one plastic bag, and then put it in the recycle bin.
Like I said, I have to double check.

Emily said...

I cant remember off hand everything (types of plastic bags/wrap) they take and don't take but it says on the barrel and I will take note next time I see it.

jellybeanmichelle said...

Here is a link where I got my information:
http://www.sonomacountymom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3192&page=2

I hope your able to view that page.
Each city is different on recycling, which I did not know.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.