Sunday, April 22, 2007

Got a few minutes to read???

Okay, I finally made it back to the blog! I have enjoyed catching up on all the reading tonight, and am feeling a little more in the loop again. And I promise to have shorter, concise entries in the future. I am just playing catch-up tonight! Bear with me...

At Target I found (and purchased) some vegan shampoo called Pureology (not cheap, but what is that's natural these days???). It smells okay, lathers great and is made in the USA! I am actually pretty happy with how my hair has reacted to it. I am trying to stay with products made here or if not, then free trade items, when possible. I am also trying to avoid unnecessary ingredients in body and home products. Also, I focus on ones with no animal testing and avoid "made in China" - which is hardest when it comes to kid items.... read: toy cars! I am starting to steer Avery away (he has so many anyways)... but it will be a longer process I think. Baby steps!

Also at Target, they sell the Method brand of cleaning products. I am sure there are products out there that may be even more eco-friendly, but I have enjoyed these so far, and they are supposed to be eco-friendly. Anyway, they have come up with dryer sheets, and I love them. Now we have hand soap, dish soap, laundry detergent, kitchen and bath cleaners. I am open to other products, however! I do want to find bulk (preferably refillable) products though. I hate tossing (even in the recycle bin) those containers all the time.

I can't find eco-friendly pull-ups. Anyone know where I can get them? I am considering ordering online - should I find any there. I am a little worried about Avery missing his "Cars" though (and disappearing stars) and not being as cooperative about this process. But, nothing ventured.... And I am hoping to get him into cloth underpants here soon (I bought organic ones recetnly!). He has been requesting naked time lately, so I might get away with not much at all! :-) But, he still has this mental stronghold on diapers (7th gen) ... only at night now, though!

I am so happy to hear how on-board all the hubbies are with this green way of living. I know Sequoia likes the idea, but I think the efforts overwhelm him at times. I am hoping that when his schedule slows down a bit, that he will be coaxed on board, too. There's a laziness that has to be overcome by us all... just different levels of it. But, as with most husbands and wives... if she's happy, he's happy! And with that, I should get some decent participation.

I have been working very slowly, but diligently, towards a greener way of living for years now. I am so thrilled to have a network of friends who share this interest - and with such enthusiasm! It's been a difficult road as I have felt as the lone driving force in my family. But, it does take discipline, and I know I can use any excuse to taper my needless shopping. And Avery is the best motivation I have to stay on track!

Thanks to everyone for the food and product tips. I am always looking for healthier alternatives and places to get them. And I think I wrote that we tried the Healthy Living Hempmilk in chocolate and vanilla. (Whole Foods) Both tastes good to me! Avery likes them, too. Sequoia not so much. :-) Anyway, for those concerned with the affects of soy consumption, this may be an alternative. But I do not know much about it, so who knows if it, too, has health questions tied to it. Everything in moderation, and all is well, right??? Also the hempmilk has the Omega 3, 6 and 9 that are great for heart health, lowering bad cholesterol, building immune system and brain function.

And to comment on the local vs organic: I, too, have been reading a lot on the benefits of local vs org. There's a good chance around here to get local that is organic, and I would say that's the best - outside of growing everything yourself! But, I am trying to buy local, and not just with produce. I, too, am hoping to make farmer's market are more regular event. And for the meat eaters, I am going to check out that butcher off Guerneville near Willowside. They are supposed to use only local, vegetarian fed (free range), no-drugs/chemicals animals. I am hoping the slaughter methods are kosher, too. (make me feel a little better about it) If Sequoia and I could go vegetarian, we would. We have tried. Raised in Texas, it's almost in our genetic make-up to eat meat (though we are mainly chicken people). I try to go as veggie as I can get away with through the week... but I have his dad I cook for, too. Sequoia doesn't like to eat veggies much, too. He did fall in love with the sauted spinach I made tonight... so there's a start!

Speaking of organic, I want to find lawn fertilizers and such that are organic (and work). Also, as soon as I get my container (compost), I will be willing to take coffee grounds. (I won't mess with transporting your peels and egg shells) I am hoping to get my veggie garden planted in the next month. Speaking of coffee, anyone heard of Sacred Grounds? I keep hearing ads for them, and thought I might order some.

I am also trying to cut down on the amount of paper towels we use. I know going to cloth will increase my laundry, but we have brand new front load W/D that use lots less water/energy. So, I feel better about that... plus with my eco-friendly soap! It will be a hard habit change just in the grabbing a cloth rather than tearing the paper piece off. I had switched to the select-a size paper towels, which did cut down the waste some. Anyway, like Jennifer has done, I plan to just sew some absorbent cotton napkins and cleaning rags. If I can find organic cotton, great. If not, I might take a page out of Jennifer's book and shop at Salvation Army or Goodwill for clothes or other cloth items and make them from that. I am not the greatest of seamtresses, but I can sew a straight line and would make extra if anyone wants a few to test run at home as well. Let me know.

Also, not that this will be much of an issue for much longer here (should all keep going so well), but I consider making wipes, too. I remember how when Avery was first born (and we spent his first week in the hospital) they used warm water on wash cloths as wipes. I remember missing that when he came home. I think his hiney did, too, as the wipes were cold! And the cloths cleaned so much better and easier. Anyway, I always thought they were great, but couldn't face the extra special load of wash with everything else. (Again, laziness conquered the better good!)

On deodorants: some of us discussed this last week... I switched to just deodorant years ago with all I had learned about the aluminum ingredient in antipersperants being linked to breast cancer. My mom is a survivor and I have had some weird things related... Anyway, there are more natural selections out now that are even found in regular stores. (I use Clearly Natural Sport as it has the cleaner smell - some of "Tom's" smell a bit strong or weird to me) But what you want to stay away from is the antipersperant. Deodorants are okay as long as they don't contain that aluminum. (which is mostly an antipersperant) I will warn those who want to switch... there will be a de-tox phase and it get stinky. It's your body releasing all those toxins it hasn't been able to naturally get rid of since the onset of antipersperant use. It took me a couple of weeks - but I (wisely ha ha) did it in the summer. I just kept some baby wipes handy to freshen up at work. Luckily a group of us did it together, so we stank together! :-) If you feel you have to use antipersperant, try a non-PCP (flurocarbon) type and hold a bit further away than you might normally.... and don't do it just after shaving. (your pores are more suseptable)

We are slowly replacing our light bulbs with flourescents. I need to find ecomony packs of them...any tips? I am horrible about going to Costco - because I end up with a cart load of stuff I don't need - much like my Target trips!

I am hoping to get things around here more and more organized so I can spend more time researching green related things to share. I had a whole list I have been compiling, but it's in the other room and I am typing this in bed. The laziness of the night is winning... I'll try to review it and contribute those thoughts another time.

Congrats to Sarah H on here garbage shrinkage! I have noticed ours is not filling up as full anymore... I may try to save money and order the smaller. We are overfilling our blue can, though. I have gotten his dad to be conscientious about recycling.

And way-to-go Jennifer on One a Day. I am impressed even if it's 1 a week. I will admit I am not as disciplined, perhaps, but I do have thoughts towards a better eco-me daily and try to make the best decisions towards that with all I do. I falter, but I try. And that's something, right? Greatest journey starts with the first step.... even the baby ones! I am hoping that if I can get Sequoia as excited (or interested) in all this green way of thinking and living, that it will be like wildfire around here. But, I am happy he tries as he does, because the little efforts count, too. But, he has hang-ups related to his childhood that will prove as roadblocks to certain things. We may not end up 100% where I'd like us to be with this, but if I can get us as a family to average 85-90%, I'll feel victorious. And with a great support system from all of you, I know I will continue my efforts.

Okay, so I was in bed typing this and my computer decides to shut down without warning. I am thinking that I am cursed wehn it comes to this blog. I cannot tell you how many problems I keep having getting on and such... anyway, I get up to plug it in and WHEW! all is still there. I was going to freak if all this vanished - again! Well, I decided to look for that list, and it's nowhere. So, perhaps I'll remember anything I could possibly have forgotten... :-)

OH and I am totally intersted in any reading materials that might help me. I know some are being passed around...

Good night...

6 comments:

Erica said...

With a long post comes a long response :)

Ooooh, I want to try that shampoo. I think Sarah H mentioned it to me once. I've been looking around for when my current stuff runs out. And I didn't know they made hemp-milk. Maybe I'll give it a shot too :)

I have always wanted my products to be more natural. Ever since I was in high school I was interested in buying things with less chemicals and stuff. I had a friend in junior high who was full blown hippy, and I learned a lot from her that has stayed with me all these years. I tend to fall back into the "but does it really matter???" mentality and end up getting less expensive conventional stuff. Up until recently, my organic buying more natural side was for my or my family's health. And since there is no "proof" that conventional products are worse, I would end up feeling like the weird one that spent too much money on things that I didn't need to. I'd often doubt my choices, but now that I see that the impact is for the earth as well, I know those choices were the right ones. It feels good to know I've been doing what I should be off and on for years now. And lesson learned, it doesn't matter what other people say or think! I have to remind myself that...

Pull-ups... those 365 ones at Whole Foods are chlorine free, dye free, fragrance free, latex free and the wood pulp is harvested from family-owned, responsibly managed forests. It's the best I've found so far. They have dinosaurs on them too :) And they aren't too expensive.

I think I am going to try those Shaklee products, so I'll let you know how they work! They have a super concentrated product that does everything! The 16 ounces makes 48 gallons of every kind of cleaner you would need (way less waste!)

On the local and organic thing, we've decided on buying organic Clover milk and yogurt which is local and to sign up for one of the CSAs around here. So at least our milk, fruits and veggies will be local and organic. And I want to try out that cheese Jennifer gets too. I just got some fair trade, organic espresso to make my coffee drinks too. We'll incorporate more as we go. Let me know what you think about that butcher!

We bought economy packs of CFLs at Costco before. Ikea also has them...

We are going to make planter boxes and grow some fruits and stuff as well (organic of course!) I am so bad at stuff like that, so you all have to help me out :)

I talked to my grandma yesterday and she is going to help me with my cloth napkins. I searched for organic cloth and it led me to a site with several websites and phone numbers. I clicked on the website with the 707 phone number and here it is http://www.harmonyart.com/index.html
It has some of the cutest designs!

Anyway, I am so glad more people think like I do. It keeps me on track! And gives me great ideas!!! This means we all have to stay friends, okay?

jellybeanmichelle said...

I think I'm going to have to take some notes here. :)

As for the cloth napkins and rags and things. I remember now that my Mom uses/used our old underwear/t-shirts as dust rags and such. I use dish towels to wipe up Victoria after she eats. I have towels and dish rags coming out of my ears! They were given to us as wedding gifts.

Sarah Michele said...

That was a great post Sarah! Good to catch up with you and your greenness :)We are all doing such a great job in my opinion. From reading all the posts it still seems like i am the newest at this lifestyle and I appreciate having you all to talk too.

A note... That Shaklee stuff is on sale for the "Oprah special" right now (33% off). I ordered the 55 dollar package, which was regularly 82 dollars. (I liked it better than the more expensive package as far as what I want/need at home) and it was shipped today, so I should get it soon. I will also let ya know what I think...

Jennifer Krug said...

Yea Sarah! Thanks for catching us up. Sounds like you've been doing a lot. I agree- it is so great to have friends who are making this kind of lifestyle a priority. It just hit me that right now is the happiest I have been in my life. I think it's because I am learning to really live my values and having friends who support that makes all the difference.

Sarah Michele said...

Jennifer, your "happiest I have been in my life" comment gave me goosebumps :) I think thats just so awesome!! Had to say that!

Eco-Mom said...

Jellybean - I grew up in a house where old t-shirts and undies were rags for cleaning, too! I have a pile folded in my drawer in the laundry room I keep forgetting about! Thanks for reminding me. :-) I wish I would have thought about that idea sooner as we just donated a lot of t-shirts. I'll check out the organic fabric store. thanks! And Erica, I am so with you. That's how my "hippy living" has been almost exactly. It was always hardest in Texas (duh) and until very recently with my family. They are slowly coming around... just wish they would on politics, too. :-) (My eldest sis is the only one who gets it, so to say)

And I am all for keeping these freindships going strong, long after the palydates end.

And I am interested in the Shakelee products. I'm sure the Oprah sale will be over before I can get a review from you guys... maybe I'll just have to jump on board feet first!

And I bought the 365 pull ups today and glad to hear they have designs. I figured they would be "natural" like 7th Gen diapers. He's in his organic cotton undies now. :-)

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.