Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stepping Up Recycling Continued

Great, it sounds like there's a lot of interest on this- here's what I've learned in the last 30 minutes or so (gotta love nap time)...

*Unless you're in Petaluma plastic bags can not go in the single stream recycle bin (Sarah, if you don't already know, I'd check to see if they need to be bagged though) I got this info from the recorded info on plastics at the Eco Desk 707-565-DESK(3375).

*Check out these 2 web sites to educate yourself about the different types of plastic. If it says #2 or #4, for sure it can be taken to a grocery store. I have a call into the Eco Desk to find out about other plastics without a number on them. It looks like if you get to know the properties of different plastics that there are others not labeled that can still be included. (I'm thinking about all the packaging I saved when we were unwrapping presents).

www.plasticbagrecycling.org/moreInfoPub.php

www.recyclenow.org/r_plastics.html

So it looks like it's going to take a little work to get this all figured out... a fun little challenge! :)

1 comment:

Eco-Mom said...

Hooray Petaluma! I knew there was a reason we moved here. :-) Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. And yes, I used to love nap time... I miss it dearly...

Straws... any info there? I can ask when I call the "desk".

Also, I was thinking today how I need to step up my recycling efforts with my car trash bags. I tend to toss the whole thing. I realized today how many plastic cups I must me tossing with it! Shame on me...

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.