Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I'm Here!

I've been friends with Jenny since Middle School.
I looked around my house and discovered there are some things I already do that are "green".
The soy milk I buy is produced with natural engergy, Wind. And the make-up I use is minerals.
I would like to buy fresh produce from the farms around here. There are some things right now I can't afford money wise right now to be "green". Oliver's Market is expensive right now for us. Although, we do shop there when we need a few items. Plus, I can save gas, and walk there! Since I live in Cotati. I try my best to support the local shops so the $$$ comes back to Cotati. I also try my best to buy products that are made in Sonoma County. Eggs, for example.
And it's like Jenny said, One day at a time. Oh, I almost forgot! I also use a natural orange cleaner for my kitchen. I bought that at Oliver's. I love the smell of orange.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on, Jenny!

The single easiest and least costly change we have made is conservation of electricity in our home. Yes, we have changed to CFLs (Compact Florescent Lights) in about 2/3 of the lights in the house. But I think the biggest effect has been getting the kids, and us, to just use less light. Flip the switch off as you leave a room. Make it a habit.

We have been making changes like this, and not really much more with regard to electricity, and have cut our electricity use by more than 40% over two years. Changes like this you can make incrementally, which helps spread the cost. But the bottom line is that we have saved way more than we have spent on things like CFLs.

Tom

Jennifer Krug said...

Great to have you join us Michelle!!!

And how exciting, Tom is our first "outside" post! And the first guy to post too. He shoud get a prize.

When I was poking around the other day I found his blog and though it was really cool. He talks about small steps everyone can take to use 5% less energy. If you click on his name it takes you to his blog...

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.