Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Magazine Trade?

When I started researching all this environmental green stuff, I was thinking how cool it would be to find a good magazine. I love getting magazines in the mail! But it is a waste of paper so...

Sarah H and I were at the bookstore today looking at "green" magazines and came up with the idea of a magazine trade. We want to sign up for a couple or more magazine subscriptions and pass them around. Not only does it save money, but it is better for the environment, right?

Sarah or I will post later on what magazines are good so far... I am going to sit and read mine tonight (kids are asleep and Matt is playing volleyball so I get ALONE TIME!)

2 comments:

Sarah Michele said...

I really like the one that I read yesterday and want to subscribe for sure. Its the Whole Living one and it seems to be pretty modern and green at the same time. Only thing is its only bi-monthly. So I want to do another magazine too. Let me know what your think.

Jennifer Krug said...

I love the idea of a magazine trade. Sounds like you two found some good ones, and I'd be interested in checking them out.

Also, I have a stack of magazines I've been meaning to post for free on Craig's list, but if any of you would be interested in any of them, they're yours. I have...

Parents
New Beginnings (La Leche League)
Sonoma Biz
Oprah
Science of Mind (Religious Science Mag)
HR Mag (Ok I know Sarah B. is the only one who would possibly be interested in that.)

I recently read that only 34% of magazines destined for the newsstand actually reach a reader, and most of the 66% end up in landfills. (!)

Another interesting fact, Aveda, the hair care brand Erica talked about, in 2004 began partnering with Co-op America's PAPER Project to encourage magizines in have more PCR paper. They only advertise in magazines that have a minimum PCR content. I though that was pretty cool.

(Both of my facts were from the 2007 National Green Pages)

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.