Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bulk




I finally did it. I set us up to buy in bulk. This is something I've been wanting to do for quite a while. I plan to buy nuts, cereal, pasta, crackers, dried fruit, snacks, etc.

I was having trouble deciding on the best way to do it. I called Community Market because they have a really big bulk foods section and I wanted to get some tips. I asked if there was a good system to bring your own containers in. They said most people just use the plastic bags because they are so much less bulky than bringing in any kind of container. They said a lot of people re-use their bags over and over again. They said most people use Mason jars which they sell there.

I decided to head to Michael's Crafts (since I had a store credit I've been carrying around forever) and see what kind of jars they had. They had the Mason jars, but I decided on the ones I got because I like the lids better. The guy at Community Market also suggested reusing jars. So as I have a pasta sauce jar, or whatever, that is a nice size I'll wash that and use that too.

I'm really excited about all the packaging I'll be saving. I still need to figure out a good system to reuse the bags, but even worse case, I recycle them, it's still a big reduction in waste. I'm not very good at calculating this kind of thing out (I've noticed you are Sarah Michele- if you do the switch you should do a cost comparison!), but I'm pretty sure there will be a cost savings. And the selection in the bulk is almost always more whole foods and organic selections compared to elsewhere in the store.

And the final bonus is how organized my pantry is. I am loving not having all those half empty boxes crammed in there!

I am still looking for some good cereal sized containers. Sarah M., I looked for the ones from Ikea online but didn't see them. Did you get them at the store?

3 comments:

Eco-Mom said...

Please elaborate. :-) I feel I am missing something here.

Sarah Michele said...

Yes, I got them at the Ikea in Emeryville. They had some good cereal sized ones and some that are about half that size. I have 4 of each and LOVE the way my pantry looks :) It appeals to my type- A, organization freak side ! Anyway, I believe they were about 4 dollars if any one is interested.

PS. Ikea got a good grade in that book! :)

jellybeanmichelle said...

We buy things in bulk to.
Costco is great for that. Atleast for us right now it is. Food Maxx is also great for us to with the 5lb block's of cheese and such.
Dan and I want to go check out Trader Joe's and I want to go check out the Community Market. I'm really into getting as much fruits and veggies that won't go bad by the end of the week for us to eat.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.