Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Less Paper Napkins and Towels

For the last week or so I've made a conscious effort to use less paper napkins and paper towels. I dug out the cloth napkins we have and put a supply of washcloths in the kitchen to clean up little faces and spills. I'd say I've cut back by about 50% just by having these things handy.

I'd like to go to the fabric store and get a couple yards of some fabric I like (do they carry organic cotton?) and make a ton of napkins and just replace paper napkins for the most part. Does anyone know how to sew? Anyone interested in doing the same thing? Maybe we could have a napkin making party!?

7 comments:

Erica said...

I've been trying to do this too and noticed a huge cut back as well!

I'd be up for a napkin making party :) But I don't sew. So we'll see how it goes!

Sarah Michele said...

Same here! Ive been doing the same with baby wipes too, which I used to clean hands and faces and some table messes. Now I just use dish towels... Id come to a napkin making party for sure, I think that'd be fun! I don't sew either but how hard could straight lines be? I'd probably be surprised :)

Jenny said...

Hi, ladies! I'm working on a story for a local magazine about bloggers - would you be willing to answer some questions for me?

Emily said...

I think thats great you are choosing to do that. I have tried to never keep paper products (towels and napkins) in the house so I am not tempted. Toilet paper however well, I haven't found a way to get around that one : ) We buy recycled TP from Trader Joes which is cheap and not quite as rough as tree bark : )

Sarah Michele said...

Sure, jenny. What kind of questions?

Jennifer Krug said...

Yea Emily! Glad to see you here!

And another "outsider" found us, and might want to write about us, how exciting!

jellybeanmichelle said...

I sew. I'd be open to a napkin making party.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.