Friday, April 13, 2007

Baby Food


I've switched from using baby food that comes in plastic containers to baby food that comes in glass jars. In the picture above I have a picture of 1)OK 2)Good 3)Better and 4)Best...

1) The plastic container is OK if recycled. But look at all the packaging. Then there's also the foil over the lid. (But as we know they do may handy little containers... reuse is always good!)

2) Glass is better for the environment. And the bigger size is good; less packaging than if you got 2 smaller jars. But Gerber uses a film over the jar than seems unnecessary, and it's not organic.

3) All the same as #2 but it's doesn't have the film and it's organic. This is what I'll buy from now on.

4) Best would be to make your own, but hey, I never said I'm perfect!!!

The following is from wikipedia.com

"Compared to glass or metallic materials, plastic poses unique challenges - because of the massive number of types of plastic, they each carry a resin identification code, and must be sorted before they can be recycled. This can be costly - while metals can be sorted using electromagnets, no such 'easy sorting' capability exists for plastics. In addition to this, while labels do not need to be removed from bottles for recycling, lids are often made from a different kind of non-recyclable plastic.

Plastics recycling rates lag far behind those of other items, such as newspaper and aluminium; consumers are typically unsure of how to recycle plastics, and compared to paper and metals fewer recycling facilities exist.

Finally, recycled plastic is less appealing to manufacturers than new plastic."

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love Brian's little face in the background :) Just had to say that. With Emma I always bought organic, so I'll be doing the same with Abby. Back then I did it simply because I assumed it was better for her, but I like that it's all green too!

jellybeanmichelle said...

I was very disappointed when Gerber changed from glass to plastic. I found the glass easier to open. I think with the next kid, whenever that is. I will be steaming all the foods.

Welcome Visitors!

If you're reading for the first time, it may feel a bit like you've just walked into a conversation that has been going on for awhile.

So to catch you up...

Jennifer started this blog because she was going through the process of becoming more conscious of her lifestyle choices and had decided to "go green". As she talked to her friends she quickly realized that she was not the only one interested in making changes. The blog was born. We used this as a place to discuss things we've tried and to support each other in the journey.